Thomson will showcase new cutting edge technologies at IBC, highlighting the company’s research in compression, networking and signal acquisition and processing markets.
Five research demonstrations will include:
- Compression: Thomson’s Automatic Reframing demonstration will be applied to 4:3 format conversions where the focus is on the 16:9 to 4:3 conversion rather than on small screen devices. Solutions are based on the detection of the region of interest and will show comparisons with today’s manual reframing procedures for DVD production.
- SVC Integrated Technologies: Thomson will show free-to-air DVB-H broadcasts using a mobile TV encoder delivering real-time SVC (scalable video coding) encoding, adaptation to frame rates and resolutions of a variety of devices, and is applicable to both DVB-H and ATSC-M/H platforms. With high coding gains comparable to simulcast, it supports heterogeneous terminals and improves zapping time.
- DVB-IP Content Download System (CDS): For broadcasters and home networking industries, Thomson’s DVB-IP CDS service targets the downloading of content to local storage on home network devices via IP. This video-on-demand service is based on content downloaded over a DVB-IPTV-managed network that delivers content to multiple home network devices simultaneously.
- Transmit Power for WLAN Video Streaming: Thomson’s Transmit Power for WLAN Video streaming proposes a WLAN-based HD video distribution system for dense deployment. It will also demonstrate a transmit power control scheme that alleviates interference and improves network performance and efficiency. The wireless LAN-based video distribution system also cognitively adjusts radio transmit parameters.
- Signal Acquisition and Processing: Thomson’s Lens Aberration Correction allows film and broadcast industries to improve the image quality in a camera and lens system by adjusting—via signal processing—lens aberrations such as distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting.
Thomson will present all its demos in its booth at Stand 1.D11.