Pictured (top-bottom) is the XLogic product line: the remote control unit for the XLogic SuperAnalogue Mic Amp, the XLogic SuperAnalogue Mic Amp, the XLogic Channel, the classic G Series Stereo Compressor, and the XLogic 5.1 Compressor (the world’s first surround compressor).
Solid State Logic has released the XLogic, an all-new line of 19” rack-mounting outboard signal processing units featuring the company’s “SuperAnalogue” audio quality. Developed from SSL’s XL 9000 K Series console, the XLogic rack-mounted units, which were debuted at this year’s AES 2003, bring audio performance to a wide range of applications, such as high-resolution digital recording for the latest DAW systems and compression for DVD mastering.
The XLogic Channel packs SSL’s XL 9000 K Series SuperAnalogue channel processing into a 1U unit, featuring:
- SuperAnalogue Pre-amplifier with mic, line or instrument inputs, and switched gain for easy reset
- Twin-Curve Dynamics, selectable RMS or peak sensing for subtle to dramatic compression, including soft distortion at extreme settings
- High and Low Pass Filters, with routing into the dynamics sidechain, allowing frequency-dependent gating
- G series and E series “Twin-Curve” EQ – 4 band parametric EQ, with variable Q on both mid bands, and shelving/Bell high and low bands
- Variable Output Level, with switchable metering
- Optional digital interface card, featuring high quality 96kHz A-to-D conversion and externally synchronized AES output
The XLogic Channel features identical DC-coupled SuperAnalogue processing to the console from which it is derived. This provides a bandwidth greater than 192KHz recorders and a dynamic range well beyond the range of 24 bit A/D converters.
XLogic Multichannel Compressor
The XLogic Multichannel Compressor unit is a 2U rack-mounted six-channel compressor. It utilizes classic SSL center compressor design elements, within a SuperAnalogue design topology.
The unit features:
- Separate 5-channel and LFE channel compression controls allowing separate treatment of LFE signals that typically require different attack and release characteristics
- Circular “Max” display shows which channel is contributing the most to the side chain giving a clear, instantaneous indication of which channel is driving the compressor
- Separate Trim controls for L, C, R & S channels provide different thresholds for each input
- Dual Stereo allows either different compression to be applied to the surround channels, or for the unit to be used as separate four channel and stereo compressors
XLogic SuperAnalogue Mic Amp
The XLogic SuperAnalogue Mic Amp provides four XL 9000 K Series Microphone Pre-amplifiers in a 1U rack-mounting unit with optional remote control. Designed to work standalone, remote controlled or directly from a suitably configured SSL XL 9000 K console, the XLogic SuperAnalogue Mic Amp puts the quality of these mic amps right next to the source to be captured. This enables both microphone and line signals to be captured with clarity.
The XLogic uses unique DC-coupled SuperAnalogue technology combined with stepless changes to preamp gain through servo-driven motorized potentiometers, as well as selection of 20dB Pad, +48V Phantom power and Hi/Low Impedance selection, for both line and microphone level inputs.
When combined with an XL console or used with the optional XLogic Remote, the four-channel amp can be used in multiples to provide additional capture capability. A twin seven segment digital display identifies the appropriate channel and the unit’s “monitor” capability can be bussed, allowing one headphone output to monitor any unit’s mic input. This allows an engineer to obtain optimum positioning of microphones before returning to the control room.
XLogic G Series Stereo Compressor
The XLogic G Series Compressor unit is a 1U rack mounting stereo compressor. It utilizes the SSL G Series center compressor design elements within a SuperAnalogue design topology.
Front panel switches allow the compressor and external side-chain signals to be switched in or out of circuit. The Autofade switch enables an automatic fade out of a duration set by the Rate control. When the Autofade switch is released, the stereo signal will fade back up over the set time.
Please visit Xlogic for complete details about the product line.
Get the TV Tech Newsletter
The professional video industry's #1 source for news, trends and product and tech information. Sign up below.