Skip to main content

SD Formats Remain Widespread, HD Makes Gains

New York research firm SCRI anticipates a robust market for audio and video gear going into 2009. SCRI’s outlook is based on feedback gathered for a report entitled, “2007-09 HD/Digital Video Trends.” The report found a relatively low level of HD videotape formats in use at facilities, suggesting adoption opportunities remain.
“This year we see expected large penetration for SD format, but surprisingly no HD formats reached more than HDV--25.5 percent--despite the fact that HDV is a relatively new player in the market,” the report summary stated.
People working at TV stations and in production facilities were asked what video formats they were using for acquisition. Betacam SP remains a presence in about 50 percent of the market. HDCAM had about 21 percent penetration, while DVCPRO HD was at 17 percent. (Together, the two comprise a 38 percent share; adding HDV pushes hi-def above 60 percent.) More than 80 percent of the facilities in the survey had DV-based recorders. ¬
SCRI said about one out of eight respondents was associated with TV stations, most of them involved in newsgathering. Six of 10 were associated with production facilities. Overall, 27 percent worked at religious organizations, government, corporate facilities or healthcare.
SCRI noted that the elections would boost revenues at TV stations and production houses over the next two years. Bear Stearns forecasts that $1.9 billion will be spent on political ads in the broadcast market next year, up 15 percent from 2006 and 35 percent from 2004.