Skip to main content

Broadcast Eyeballs Dip in Week 20

NEW YORK: The total number of households tuning into the Big Four broadcast networks during prime time fell last week compared to the same period a year ago, according to Wachovia’s weekly report. ABC’s viewership was down 54 percent; Fox was down 43 percent; CBS fell 17 percent and NBC was down 11 percent. Season-to-date, only CBS was up, logging an 8 percent increase in total household tune-in.

Among cable nets, The Learning Channel logged the biggest year-over-year audience growth for week 20, up 114 percent. ESPN beat out BET in weekly growth, logging an 82 percent tune-in increase over the same week a year ago. BET was up 66 percent. Fox News Channel continued to own season-to-date growth with a 46 percent increase in people two years and older.

Wachovia’s ad market update: “The broadcast/cable ad market remains mixed, with local cable advertising weakening in June. Chrysler’s re-entry into the market should benefit local broadcast this month. On the upfront, CPM declines in the low single digits remain likely, in our view.”

Wachovia’s report tracks the weekly (ending May 31) and season-to-date (STD), year-to-year change in average households data for broadcast (live plus same day) and audience data for cable nets (live plus same day): STD is prime time (PT) unless otherwise noted, e.g., Food and HGTV.

-- Disney (ABC): Prime-time average household (HH) rating was -54 percent for total HHs and -55 percent for people 18-49. Season-to-date average audience was -7 percent for both.

-- CBS (CBS): PT avg. HH rating was -17 percent for total HHs and -33 percent for P18-49. STD avg. audience was +8 percent and +4 percent, respectively.

-- News Corp (Fox): PT avg. HH rating was -43 percent for total HHs and P18-49. STD avg. audience was -15 percent and -18 percent, respectively.

-- GE (NBC): PT avg. HH rating was -11 percent for total HHs and -8 percent for P18-49. STD avg. audience was -8 percent and -4 percent, respectively.

-- Viacom:
BET PT avg. audience was +66 percent for P2+ and +87 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +15 percent for P2+ and +17 percent for P25-54.
Comedy Central PT avg. audience was -15 percent for P2+ and -13 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +1 percent and -2 percent, respectively.
MTV PT avg. audience was +29 percent for P2+ and +68 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was -23 percent and -14 percent, respectively.
VH1 PT avg. audience was +5 percent for P2+ and +11 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was -5 percent and -3 percent, respectively.
Nickelodeon PT avg. audience was +3 percent for P2+ and +6 percent for P2-11. STD avg. audience was +8 percent and +9 percent, respectively.

-- Discovery:
Discovery Channel PT avg. audience was +3 percent for P2+ and -1 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +4 percent and +5 percent, respectively.
The Learning Channel PT avg. audience was +114 percent for P2+ and P25-54. STD avg. audience was +7 percent and flat, respectively.
Animal Planet PT avg. audience was +47 percent for P2+ and +94 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +8 percent and +16 percent, respectively.

-- Scripps:
HGTV PT avg. audience was +19 percent for P2+ and +9 percent for P25-54. STD PT avg. audience was +2 percent and -1 percent, respectively. STD total day avg. audience was -3 percent for P2+ and -1 percent for P25-54.
Food Net PT avg. audience was +27 percent for P2+ and +31 percent for P25-54. STD PT avg. audience was +14 percent for P2+ and P25-54. STD total day avg. audience was +8 percent for P2+ and +6 percent for P25-54.
-- Disney:
ESPN PT avg. audience was +82 percent for P2+ and +87 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +1 percent for both.
Disney Channel PT avg. audience was +14 percent for P2+ and +21 percent for P2-11. STD avg. audience was -8 percent for P2+ and -7 percent for P2-11.

-- News Corp.:
Fox News Channel PT avg. audience was +18 percent for P2+ and +17 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +46 percent and +51 percent respectively.
F/X PT avg. audience was +67 percent for P2+ and +65 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +4 percent for P2+ and +5 percent for P25-54.
National Geographic PT avg. audience was +18 percent for P2+ and +29 percent for P25-54. STD avg. audience was +12 percent and +9 percent, respectively.