CommScope Acquires Andrew Corp.
December 28, 2007
CommScope, Inc. has completed its acquisition of Andrew Corp. for a total purchase price of approximately $2.65 billion. Andrew is now a wholly owned subsidiary of CommScope.
The company was established in 1937 by Dr. Victor J. “Doc” Andrew as the “Victor J. Andrew, Manufacturing and Consulting Engineer sole-proprietorship” and provided communications equipment manufacturing and service on Chicago’s South Side. Andrew Corp. became a publicly traded company in 1980. Floyd L. English succeeded Russell Cox as president and CEO in 1983 and launched an acquisition program that continued until 1990, during which Andrew Corp. acquired interest or sole ownership in nine companies.
See the timeline of Andrew Corp.’s history while it is still available.
Andrew Corp. sold its broadcast antenna division to ERI in late 2003 and last month sold its satellite communications business to Resilience Capital Partners.
Frank M. Drendel, chairman and CEO of CommScope, commented on the acquisition. “We are delighted with the closing of the Andrew transaction, which marks a new chapter in the history of our company. We believe this combination will further enhance CommScope’s position as a worldwide leader in ‘last mile’ solutions. We look forward to working with Andrew’s talented team to quickly and smoothly integrate their operations into CommScope. As we continue to invest in the combined business for profitable growth, the talented and dedicated employees of both Andrew and CommScope will continue to play a critical role in the success of the combined company. CommScope is a proven and successful integrator of strategic transactions and we expect to begin realizing the benefits of this combination immediately and enjoy them fully over the next few years.”