As the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers readies for the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in New York City next week (Nov. 9-12), the organization has released the names of members to be honored at that event.
Each year at the event, SMPTE recognizes outstanding industry achievement, support and service with the presentation of a number of medals, citations, awards and scholarships in a Thursday evening Honors and Awards ceremony.
This year's honorees are:
- Progress Medal -- S. Merrill Weiss
- Eastman Kodak Gold Medal Award -- James F. MacKay
- Technicolor / Herbert T. Kalmus Gold Medal Award -- Richard C. Sehlin
- John Grierson International Gold Medal Award -- Ken Burns
- James A. Leitch Gold Medal Award -- Frederick M. Remley
- Samuel L. Warner Memorial Medal Award -- Robert C. Lovick
- The Journal Award -- Matthew Cowan, Glenn Kennel, Thomas Maier and Brad Walker
- Journal Certificates of Merit -- Jean-Pierre Vitton, Steven M. Gerlach, Marian Herz, Susan D. Hill and Alan J. Masson
- Citation of Outstanding Service to the Society -- Alan J. Masson, Tony Tin-Ming, Ngai and Willian J. Weber
- Society Citation -- Edgar A. Schueller and Michael A. Dolan
- Lou Wolf Memorial Scholarship -- Ben Brunkhardt
- SMPTE Student Paper Award -- Ben Brunkhardt
The New York Hilton hotel will host this year's Conference and Exhibition. Conference activities also include a day-long digital cinema seminar, presentation of technical papers, technical exhibits and an industry luncheon.
The Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers was founded in 1916 and provides ANSI-approved technical standards, practices and engineering guidelines for the motion picture and television sectors. It is the leading technological society for the motion imaging industry.