1. The Ross Video Vision 3 multi-def switchers at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills football team, has seized the day in the Television Broadcast Champion competition. The Iroquois, Ontario, firm supplied three of its Vision 3s to the stadium mid-season for a panel swap that went off smoothly. Ross swept the vote, even without the significant support of the Ross clan itself.
2. Next up was Digital Rapids of Markham, Ontario, nominated for its contribution to the live streaming video NBC provided of the 2008 Summer Olympics from Beijing. NBC’s Web coverage used Digital Rapids encoding and streaming systems to stream more than 2,200 hours of live video from the events.
3. Omneon received props as well for its Olympics effort. The Sunnyvale, Calif., server company sent a stack of MediaDeck and MediaGrid systems to Beijing for NBC’s live transcontinental televised coverage of the games as well as for multiplatform distribution of content and highlights.
4. Omneon was also recognized by voters for its providing storage and server capacity on the horse-racing scene. Omneon’s Spectrum and MediaGrids were deployed in mobile production facilities used by the New York Racing Association.
5.... x 3. Focus Enhancements of Campbell, Calif., was next, having streamlined Bike Motocross production for one overwhelmed videographer, and Snell & Wilcox of Havant, U.K., received an equal number of nods for converting 3,600 hours of NBC’s Olympics coverage in three rack units of space.
Both were tied in a three-way with Front Porch Digital of Louisville, Colo., which provided the platform for digitizing and archiving the substantial library of NASCAR.
6. Microwave Radio Communications of North Billerica, Mass., was in the running with wireless links for the HD cameras used in Major League Baseballs’ 2008 All Star Game.
Ross Video at Buffalo Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium
Digital Rapids Olympics Streaming
NBC Olympics Omneon Server-Storage Strategy
New York Racing Association's Mobile Omneon Configuration
Focus Enhancements BMX Coverage
NASCAR's Front Porch Digital Deployment
Snell & Wilcox Olympics Conversion
MRC's Wireless HD Link MLB Application
Television Broadcast congratulates these Champions, and thanks readers for weighing in. Send any further thoughts, input and feedback to Editor@televisionbroadcast.com.