Older, Wealthier Viewers Value TV News and Sports More, LRG Says
Live programming will continue to keep pay-TV relevant, researcher says
Despite the increase in cordcutting, drawing viewers away from pay-TV, interest in live news and sports—a staple of traditional linear TV—remains high among older, wealthier viewers, according to a recent study from Leichtman Research Group
When asked the importance of various programming genres, overall, 49% of adults rated news as very important (8-10) and 41% rated sports as very important, LRG said. While neither of these are the highest rated genre overall––that distinction goes to movies at 69%––there are significant differences in the importance of news and sports to pay-TV subscribers versus nonsubscribers.
The study found that:
- 56% of pay-TV subscribers rate news as very important, compared to 32% of non-subscribers
- 49% of pay-TV subscribers rate sports as very important, compared to 21% of non-subscribers
The rated importance of these genres is also higher among those in the demographic categories that (unsurprisingly) are typically more likely to get a pay-TV service.
News is more important among older age individuals, and in higher income households:
- 66% of ages 55+ rate news as very important, compared to 48% of ages 35-54, and 32% of ages 18-34
- 57% with annual household incomes >$75,000 rate news as very important, compared to 45% with household incomes <$75,000
Sports is more important in higher income households, as well as among men:
- 52% with household incomes >$75,000 rate sports as very important, compared to 39% with household incomes of $30,000 - $75,000, and 27% with household incomes <$30,000
- 49% of men rate sports as very important, compared to 34% of women
Going forward, these genres will continue to play important roles in balancing the legacy model with direct-to-consumer offerings. However these options are not mutually, LRG added, as consumers will continue to get the services and content that best serve their households’ needs and budgets.
The latest product and technology information
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox