DVB and ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) have announced that the MHP (Multimedia Home Platform) conformance process is now underway. ETSI is now shipping the MHP Test Suite to MHP implementers. Once an organization has successfully completed the testing procedure and informed ETSI, it may apply to the DVB Project Office to use the MHP logo on set-top-boxes and other consumer equipment complying with the standard.
In its role as custodian of the MHP specification and Test Suite, ETSI will also ensure that organizations are appraised of developments in the area of the MHP Test Suite.
Procedure for obtaining the MHP Mark
MHP is a registered trademark of the DVB Project. The MHP logo indicates that the equipment to which it is affixed conforms to the MHP specification; its implementation has passed the MHP conformance-testing regime; and it is interoperable with other MHP equipment. Each implementer must first complete the conformance testing prior to applying to use the MHP mark.
The procedure is as follows:
- Download the MHP specification and references from either the ETSI (http://www.etsi.org/getastandard/home.htm) or the MHP (http://www.mhp.org/technical_essen/) Web site.
- Request the MHP Test Suite from ETSI. Contact: Ms. Gina Ebenezersson
- Complete the appropriate licensing documentation associated with the Test Suite and pay an administrative fee to ETSI.
- Possibly obtain some elements of source code and test harnesses at this point also under license but with no extra charge.
- Run the tests contained on the MHP Test Suite CD-ROM on the candidate MHP implementation.
- Once completed, deliver a Certificate of Completion of conformance testing to ETSI.
- In parallel, and as an option, deliver to the DVB Project Office two signed copies of the MHP Mark License Agreement. Contact: Ms. Eva Melamed.
- Pay a maintenance fee to the DVB Project for MHP Mark. This entitles the implementer to use the MHP Mark.
- At this point, there are various options for use of IPRs associated with Java(tm) technology essential to the implementation of the MHP specification:
- deliver to ETSI a "short-form patent license";
- enter into broader licensing arrangements with MHP technology providers;
- sign no license, on the basis that the implementer takes the view that it has implemented the MHP specification "on a clean room basis".
More information can obtained from the DVB BlueBook A066 on MHP Web site's at: http://www.mhp.org.