Belo media companies have generated millions in fundraising dollars through high-profile events and campaigns in their communities. Most of the funds will be donated to the American Red Cross and The Salvation Army and Catholic Charities will also receive donations.
- KHOU-TV in Houston helped raise $6.5 million in an all-day telethon and a grocery store scan card program.
- KTVK participated in an all-broadcasters telethon and online campaign that raised nearly $5 million.
- The Dallas Morning News and WFAA-TV teamed up with Tom Thumb in Dallas and collected nearly $450,000 at grocery store checkout lanes. They also held a Drive-Thru campaign in downtown Dallas, collecting nearly $100,000 in cash and check donations.
- The Providence Journal in Rhode Island ran full-page ads for the Rhode Island chapter of the American Red Cross, raising more than $1 million for the Katrina Relief Fund Drive.
- KMOV-TV in St. Louis developed an on-air, off-air and online phone bank to take donations and worked with charities to raise more than $872,000.
- In Seattle/Tacoma, KING-TV, KONG-TV and NorthWest Cable News have raised more than $788,000.
- In Portland, Ore. KGW-TV had an on-air campaign for the Red Cross that brought in more than $780,000 in contributions.
- The "Neighbors Helping Neighbors" campaign in Charlotte, N.C. through WCNC-TV raised in more than $760,000.
- WVEC-TV in Hampton/Norfolk, Va. ran a six-day, on-air phone bank to raise nearly $470,000.
- In Louisville, WHAS-TV launched the WHAS Crusade for Children, collecting nearly $400,000.
- KVUE-TV in Austin helped raise nearly $350,000 through a "Storm Aid Radio-thon" and phone bank with Clear Channel and several radio stations.
- $1 million raised in a collaborative effort from The Press Enterprise in Riverside, Calif., KENS-TV in San Antonio, KREM-TV in Spokane, KMSB-TV in Tucson, KTVB in Boise and the Denton Record-Chronicle in Denton, Texas.
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.