Broadcom has developed a new dual-channel AVC/MPEG-4/VC-1/MPEG-2 video decoder system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed in a 65nm process. The new high-performance video decoder SoC was recently demonstrated at the CableLabs Winter Conference.
The BCM7400B video decoder enables set-top box manufacturers to develop high-performance media centers, integrating the advanced hardware features and functionality to securely decode, store and share multiple types of media including HDTV, video-on-demand, Internet and digital music content.
- High-performance set-top SoC with a 1000 DMIPs dual-core MIPS32 CPU that supports JAVA OCAP and multiclient, multiroom DVR applications;
- HD and SD video quality enhancement with per-pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing and picture enhancement processing that removes noise and contouring;
- Support for H.264/AVC Main and High Profile to Level 4.1, SMPTE VC-1 Simple, Main and Advanced Profile to Level 3 and MPEG-2 Main and High Profiles;
- Dual audio and video HD channels that enable a single system to simultaneously deliver HD programs to multiple televisions in the home, support picture-in-picture (PIP), picture-by-picture (POP) and 12+ picture MOSIAC video decoding, as well as watch and record applications;
- Support for higher-performance DDR2 SDRAM memories that provide more than 5GB/s of total memory bandwidth;
- Fully integrated dual 3Gb/s eSATA-II interfaces to support a more than 1TB hard drive and DVR capabilities that enable the simultaneous recording and playback of more than eight channels, both locally and to multiple clients;
- Support both 2-D and 3-D graphics that can provide program guides and navigation capabilities;
- An integrated, independent content security processor that provides real-time encryption and decryption for all content, home network and TV interfaces.
The 65nm process provides significant benefits over 90nm and 130nm processes by enabling lower power consumption, smaller size and higher levels of integration.
For more information, visit www.broadcom.com.
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.