UPDATED 2/19: ATSC 3.0 deployment is well underway in the U.S.
In 2019, the ATSC estimated that more than 60 “first markets”—including the top 40 markets—would deploy NextGen TV standard to its viewers by the end of 2020. The organization has since revised its estimate of that deadline to mid-2021 due to the pandemic. (updated Oct. 27, 2020)
With these markets, ATSC says ATSC 3.0 will reach 70% of all viewers in the U.S.
ATSC has created a map for NextGen TV deployments in the U.S.
Here is a complete list of the ATSC 3.0 deployment breakdown:
“On the Air” With ATSC 3.0
- Austin, Texas
- Boise, Idaho
- Columbus, Ohio
- Dallas-Forth Worth, Texas
- East Lansing, Mich.
- Las Vegas
- Mobile, Ala.-Pensacola, Fla.
- Nashville, Tenn.
- Norfolk-Portsmith-Newport News, Va.
- Oklahoma City
- Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
- Portland, Ore.
- Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
- Salt Lake City
- Santa Barbara-Santa Marie-San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.
- Tallahassee, Fla.
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota, Fla.
- Buffalo, N.Y.
- Los Angeles
- San Antonio
- Washington, D.C.
- Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y.
- Albuquerque-Santa Fe, N.M.
- Burlington, Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Charleston-Huntington, WVa.
- Charleston, S.C.
- Charlotte, N.C.
- Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Cleveland-Akron, Ohio
- Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island-Moline, Ill.
- Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Mich.
- Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, S.C.
- Asheville, N.C.
- Hartford-New Haven, Conn.
- Kansas City, Kan.-Mo.
- Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.
- Memphis, Tenn.
- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn
- New York
- Omaha, Neb.
- Providence, R.I.-New Bedford, Mass.
- Rochester, N.Y.
- Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Calif.
- San Diego
- San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
- Springfield, Mo.
- St. Louis
- Syracuse, N.Y.
- West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
While the markets will be capable of broadcasting these signals, there is still a need for consumer devices to receive them. However, there are efforts by major manufacturers and Kickstarters alike, to make that technology available.
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.