Apple Releases Final Cut Pro Update 5.1.2
Final Cut Pro Update 5.1.2 provides important bug fixes and compatibility updates for certain Canon, Sony, JVC and Panasonic devices. This update is recommended for all Final Cut Pro 5.1 and Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 customers.
Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 addresses effects compatibility issues and video format compatibility, and resolves long-standing issues with video scope performance and audio output. For updated information about format support, choose HD and Broadcast Formats from the Final Cut Pro Help menu.
The Download Only option in Software Update is disabled for the Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 software update package.
HDV Format Support and Easy Setups
Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 includes native support and corresponding Easy Setups for the following HDV formats:
- 720p24 and 720p25 (JVC GY-HD100 ProHD camcorder)
- 1080p24 and 1080p25 (Canon XL H1 HDV camcorder); also called 1080F24 and 1080F25
DVCPRO HD 720p25 and 1080pA24 Support
Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 updates compatibility with DVCPRO HD camcorder devices by adding two new Easy Setups:
- DVCPRO HD 720p25: This Easy Setup is used for native editing of DVCPRO HD 720p25 footage imported from Panasonic P2 cards. Final Cut Pro does not support DVCPRO HD 720p25 capture from or output to tape.
- DVCPRO HD 1080pA24: This Easy Setup is used to capture and output DVCPRO HD 1080p24 footage with advanced pulldown (2:3:3:2) to and from tape. This format uses the same advanced pulldown technique as NTSC 24p. The footage on tape is actually recorded at 29.97 interlaced frames per second (fps), but Final Cut Pro removes redundant fields, resulting in a 23.98 fps progressive scan QuickTime movie on your scratch disk.
Panasonic P2 Support
Compatibility issues with Panasonic P2 camcorders have been resolved. For more information, see the Panasonic P2 chapter in the HD and Broadcast Formats document, available from the Final Cut Pro Help menu.
Sony XDCAM HD Editing Support
Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 supports native editing of XDCAM HD. Ingest and export of XDCAM HD video requires additional software from Sony. You can find out more about the XDCAM and XDCAM HD formats at www.sony.com/xdcamhd.
For a thorough explanation of how to use XDCAM HD with Final Cut Pro:
- In Final Cut Pro, choose Help > HD and Broadcast Formats and refer to the chapter about XDCAM HD.
- Click here to download the white paper.
Realtime Support for MPEG IMX at 30 Mbps
Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 solves an issue that allows realtime playback and effects support for MPEG IMX at 30 Mbps (this includes both NTSC and PAL standards).
PCI Express Card Compatibility
When using a Mac Pro computer, there are restrictions concerning which slot you can install a PCI Express card into. For more details, see the documentation for the Expansion Slot Utility included with the Mac Pro computer.
Get the TV Tech Newsletter
The professional video industry's #1 source for news, trends and product and tech information. Sign up below.