Blu-ray's percentage share of the video disc revenue pie continues to hover in the mid-teens, garnering a 14 percent in the weekend ending Jan. 10, as compared to the remaining 86 percent for standard DVD.
However, while DVD sales continue to overwhelm revenues, standard-disc sales dropped nearly 5.5 percent from the same week a year ago, while Blu-ray sales were up just slightly less that 20 percent from January 2009.
Overall video disc revenues in the United States totaled about $164 million for the week (Jan. 4-10), which was down 2.6 percent from the same period last year, according to Home Media Research. Blu-ray titles captured nearly $22.5 million in sales for the seven-day period earlier this month.
The bottom line is that American sales of Blu-ray players at attractive price points in the recent holiday sales season did not seem to have made a significant difference in growing the revenue shares of Blu-ray titles over standard DVD--at least not yet.
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.