If revenue from the sale of equipment is any measure of an industry’s prospects, the outlook for the IPTV market appears to be rosy with worldwide revenue reaching nearly $424 million in the first quarter of the year, according to a report from Infonetics Research.
The report, “IPTV Equipment, Services, Subscribers and Capex,” showed worldwide IPTV equipment manufacturer revenue jumping 153 percent in 2006, easily passing the $1 billion mark.
While the IPTV equipment market is expected to grow at a more moderate pace in coming years, all categories but one tracked by Infonetics are forecast to at least double or triple between 2006 and 2010.
Among the report’s highlights:
- Worldwide revenue from pure IP set-top boxes (STBs) was up 15 percent in the first quarter of the year;
- Service providers around the world increased pure IPTV service revenue 178 percent and hybrid IPTV/over-the-air service revenue 268 percent in 2006;
- Motorola maintained its worldwide lead in the IP STB market in the first quarter;
- The number of pure IPTV subscribers hit 7.3 million worldwide, and hybrid IPTV/over-the-air subscribers hit 1.6 million in 2006;
- Fifty-six percent of worldwide IPTV equipment revenue in the first quarter came from Asia Pacific, 32 percent from EMEA, 11 percent from North America and 1 percent from CALA; these percentages will shift considerably by 2010.
For more information, visit www.infonetics.com.
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Technology. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.