HD will experience significant growth in the United States over the next five years, according to a new report just published by JupiterResearch. By the end of 2004, HD sets made up about 20 percent of overall TV sales (although only about a quarter of those sets are assumed to be receiving HD programming).
Sales will rise to 70 percent of overall TV sales by the end of 2010, according to the study. Therefore, JupiterResearch projects, about 63 percent of TV households will have HD sets by 2010. The jar-is-half-full view is that that's nearly two-thirds of all U.S. homes. The jar-is-half-empty view is that that still leaves 37 percent of all homes without HD, nearly five years from now.
JupiterResearch attributes its growth projection to the increase availability of HD content, as well as the growing number of HD models and prices points available in stores and online. The firm also contends that consumers traditionally think of TV purchases as long-term investments and will seek placements in the home that have longevity--meaning appliances that will work well into the future with digital TV standards.
JupiterResearch forecasts LCD flat-screens and projection displays will make up the majority of U.S. sales by 2010.
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.