Blu-ray Disc sales for the week ending April 26 totaled just under $19.5 million in the United States, which was up about 44 percent from the same week last year, according to Home Media Research.
Meanwhile, Blu-ray penetration of all video-disc sales climbed to about 14 percent for the same week. (Standard DVD sales—$185 million—were down nearly 22 percent compared to the same week in 2008.)
For the week ending April 25, six of the Top 10 Blu-ray sales were for movie titles held fully or partially by 20th Century Fox, according to Rentrak:
- "The Wrestler" (20th Century Fox)
- "Notorious" (20th Century Fox)
- "Sin City" (Disney)
- "X-Men Trilogy" (20th Century Fox)
- "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (20th Century Fox)
- "The Spirit" (Lionsgate)
- "Quantum of Solace" (MGM/20th Century Fox)
- "Frost/Nixon" (Universal)
- "Bedtime Stories" (Disney)
- "Marley & Me" (20th Century Fox)
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.