Blu-ray sales for at least one title seem to be following the lead of that animated nose that grows with each lie, even if it's the truth this time. The 70th anniversary edition of the Disney hand-drawn animated classic "Pinocchio" shot to the lead in the Blu-ray Top 10 immediately upon its release this month.
Disney said within the first week of sales, the Blu-ray Platinum Edition constituted a healthy 15 percent of the title's overall sales, with standard DVD accounting for the remaining 85 percent. Disney has not yet released any specific sales numbers, but if those preliminary figures hold steady, that would mean a noticeable uptick in Blu-ray's share of the overall video-disc market—which is now about 12 percent.
Also, a TV series made a rare appearance in the Top 10 as "South Park's" latest release squeaked in just under the wire.
Here are the Top 10 Blu-ray title sales for the week ending March 14, according to Rentrak:
- "Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition" (Disney)
- "Transporter 3" (Lionsgate)
- "Role Models" (Universal)
- "Australia" (20th Century Fox)
- "The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.)
- "Beverley Hills Chihuahua" (Disney)
- "Milk" (Universal)
- "Body of Lies" (Warner Bros.)
- "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" (DreamWorks Animation/Paramount)
- "South Park: Complete 12th Season" (Paramount)
Future US's leading brands bring the most important, up-to-date information right to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to TV Tech. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.