Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
Alcatel, Microsoft to collaborate on global IPTV initiative
Alcatel and Microsoft last week announced a global collaboration agreement to accelerate the availability of Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) services for broadband operators worldwide.
The companies expect this agreement will help expand “the quickly-growing ecosystem of IPTV industry partners” and let telecommunication providers take advantage of global economies of scale fueled by large-scale IPTV deployments, according to a joint statement.
Alcatel and Microsoft will develop an integrated IPTV delivery solution that can help IPTV service providers reduce deployment costs and shorten time-to-market for IPTV services. The agreement calls for the companies to plan to pursue a series of joint initiatives, including:
- Develop and customize new applications for different cultures and markets around the world;
- Enhance application and network resilience;
- Integrate content, security and digital rights management;
- Manage quality of service through intelligent video packet handling;
- Develop end-to-end integration of management systems for the application platforms and all components of the network including the home network.
Back to the top