Flat panel, RPTV show strong growth, says report
Worldwide TV shipments were up 12 percent in the third quarter of 2005 compared to the same period last year and 2 percent year over year, according to a new report from DisplaySearch.
The “Quarterly Global TV shipment and Forecast Report” said that in 2005 43.6 million units have been sold. LCD and plasma TV unit sales rose from 6 percent in Q3 ’04 to 37 percent for Q3 ’05. Year over year growth rose 153 percent. According to the report, although accounting for less than half of the unit sales, flat panels generated 55 percent of the revenue in the quarter — an 87 percent growth rate year over year.
The report showed shipment data, including:
- LCD TV shipments up 36 percent Q/Q and 156 percent Y/Y, totaling 5.5 million units and a 13 percent market share;
- Plasma TV shipments grew 40 percent Q/Q and 143 percent Y/Y, totaling 1.6 million units and a 3.6 percent market share;
- MD RPTV shipments rose 50 percent Q/Q and 44 percent Y/Y to 634,000 units. MD RPTV shipments surpassed CRT rear projection TVs for the first time in the third quarter;
- CRT TV shipments declined 8 percent Y/Y but rose 8 percent Q/Q to 35.5 million units;
- CRT RPTVs shipments fell 10 percent Q/Q and 58 percent Y/Y to 479,000 units. Market share fell from 2.6 percent in Q3 ’04 to 1.1 percent in Q3 ’05.
For more information, visit
Back to the top