Scherer Elected to Second Term as SBE President
Christopher H. Scherer, CPBE, CBNT, of Overland Park, Kansas, was elected to a second term as president of the Society of Broadcast Engineers. Scherer, editor of Radio magazine, will begin his second term beginning September 27, following his induction during the SBE Annual Membership Meeting in Verona, NY. Scherer is a senior member of SBE. Previous to serving as president of the 5,3000-member organization this past year, Scherer has served as national vice president and chairman of chapters 59 in Kansas City and 70 in Cleveland. He is also a past chairman of the SBE National Certification Committee and continues to serve on that committee. Scherer has been a member of the Society since 1989.
Commenting on his election to a second one-year term, Scherer said, “I look forward to serving the Society for another year, and in particular working with the current, re-elected and newly elected board members. We have established the groundwork of several plans and projects that I expect will see significant progress in the coming months.”
Also elected to a second term was vice president, Clay Freinwald, CPBE. Freinwald, of Auburn, WA, is a corporate engineer with Entercom. He is a member of Chapter 16 in Seattle and has been a member of the national SBE board of directors since 1999 and a member of the Society since 1968. He was elected an SBE Fellow in 2004.
Elected to a second term as secretary is Vincent A. Lopez, CEV CBNT, director of engineering at WSYT/WNYS TV in Syracuse, NY. Lopez has been a member of the national board since 2000 and is chairman of the SBE Regional Convention Strategies Committee. He previously served as chairman of the SBE Membership Committee for four years. Lopez is also a past chairman of Chapter 22 in Central New York and was elected an SBE Fellow in 2004.
Elected to a second term as Treasurer is Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT, president of Thomas Media. Thomas is a senior member of SBE and a member of Chapter 15 in New York. He previously served as national secretary and also two terms as a director. He has also served as chairman of the SBE Finance Committee.
Six members were elected to seats on the Board of Directors. They include:
- Ralph Beaver, CBT, President and CEO, Media Alert, Inc., Tampa, FL
- James T. Bernier, Jr., CPBE, CBNT, Director, Maintenance, Design and Engineering, Turner Entertainment Networks, TBS, Inc., Alpharetta, GA
- Keith M. Kintner, CPBE, CBNT, Radio-TV-Film Engineer, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Oshkosh, WI
- Thomas R. Ray, III, CPBE, Vice President, Corporate Director of Engineering, Buckley Broadcasting/WOR Radio, New York, NY
- Christopher D. Tarr, CBRE, CBT, CBNT, Director of Engineering, Entercom Milwaukee/Madison, Delafield, WI
- Larry J. Wilkins, CPBE, AMD, CBNT, Assistant Director of Engineering, Cumulus Broadcasting, Prattville, AL
They will be joined by six returning members of the Board and Raymond Benedict, CPBE, who will continue his service to the Board as Immediate Past President. The six returning directors include:
- Jon A. Bennett, CPBE, CBNT, Director of Engineering–Richmond, Cox Radio, Richmond, VA
- Andrea B. Cummis, CBT, CTO, Sr. Vice President, Engineering and Technology, American Desi TV, Roseland, NJ
- Dane E. Ericksen, P.E., CSRTE, 8-VSB, CBNT, Senior Engineer, Hammett & Edison, Inc., San Francisco, CA
- Ted Hand, CPBE, 8-VSB, Assistant Chief Engineer/RF Engineer, WGNT-TV, Portsmouth, VA
- Hal H. Hostetler, CPBE, Senior Engineer/I.T. Director, KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ
- Conrad H. Trautmann, CPBE, Senior Vice President of Engineering and Technology, Westwood One, Inc., New York, NY