Doug Lung /
10.26.2007 12:00 AM
SBE Says Broadcast EAS Changes at Least a Year Away
Last week the Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE) held a meeting to discuss the next generation of public alerting systems. These systems will modify or replace the current Emergency Alert System (EAS). The meeting, held in Washington D.C., included representatives from the FCC, FEMA, NOAA, NAB and the National Alliance of State Broadcast Associations (NASBA).

A report on the meeting on the SBE Short Circuits web page said there is much work to be done before any firm plan for the next generation alerting plan will be known. The government agencies welcomed input from the broadcast industry and broadcasters’ help will be solicited in the design of the system.

FEMA will send a first assessment of the architecture of the system to the While House by the end of the year. The SBE Short Circuits report says, “SBE representatives came away from the meeting feeling that there will likely be no action required of local broadcasters for at least a year and possibly longer.”

NASDA representatives made it clear that funding for any required equipment should come from the federal government.

Representing SBE at the meeting were Clay Freinwald, national SBE Emergency Alert System (EAS) Committee chair and leader of the meeting, Richard Rudman, a member of SBE’s EAS Committee, and John Porey, executive director.


Comments
Post New Comment
If you are already a member, or would like to receive email alerts as new comments are
made, please login or register.

Enter the code shown above:

(Note: If you cannot read the numbers in the above
image, reload the page to generate a new one.)

No Comments Found




Thursday 10:05 AM
NAB Requests Expedited Review of Spectrum Auction Lawsuit
“Broadcasters assigned to new channels following the auction could be forced to accept reductions in their coverage area and population served, with no practical remedy.” ~NAB


 
Featured Articles
Exhibitions & Events
Discover TV Technology