01.08.2010 12:00AM
Broadcasters Begin Airing Spots Promoting Free TV

The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) has produced a TV spot informing viewers of discussions in Washington that could limit free, over-the-air broadcast television. The 30-second spot, produced in English and Spanish, was distributed via satellite in late December and has been airing on local stations this month. The TV spot comes on the heels of several third-party filings submitted to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) calling for the reallocation of broadcast spectrum for new wireless broadband devices.

“Following NAB’s historic campaign to educate Americans on the benefits of the government-mandated digital TV transition, we feel it is equally important to ensure our viewers are aware of proposals in Washington now aimed at limiting free and local DTV service,” said NAB Executive Vice President Dennis Wharton. “We remain committed to a dialogue with policymakers and legislators on how to best serve the needs of the American people for fast Internet access without jeopardizing digital TV’s promised potential for millions of TV viewers.”

The full script of the 30 second spot reads:

“It’s our connection to our community. It’s our lifeline to the emergency information we need. It’s a free service that provides free entertainment.

“But one day soon, it could be taken away. There’s a movement among special interest groups to limit free antenna TV, and millions of Americans who depend on it would lose out.

“Always free, always local. Let’s tell Congress to keep free antenna TV as part of our communications future.”

The English and Spanish-language spot, provided to stations in both high-definition and standard-definition quality, can be viewed online in WMV format.

Comments

Tue, 08-02-2011 - 9:31PM Report Comment
Leave our television alone! Recently several storms passed through the area & some 86% of viewing public got their info to take shelter from TV. Results lots of damage, but no serious injuries! Government please don't fix what aint broken. Again when government gets involved, problems arise from it. Leave what works alone!!!!!!!!!!
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 4:54PM Report Comment
PAY PER VIEW, YEAH RIGHT! KISS MY ASS!
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 4:52PM Report Comment
you don't got the balls to print the truth!
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 4:50PM Report Comment
When free television broadcasts disappear so will my television! Goddamn greedy mother fuckin, broadcast co's and their satellite & cable cohorts. Another thing, if radio goes that way, fuck them too. I JUST DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THEM! Never done anything for me. Just try to sell shit, nobody wants to buy, fucking commercials.
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 8:24PM Report Comment
We never used to have problems with antenna TV until the government forced a changed to digital and now digital keeps showing "no station" when we're watching something and now the government is actually considering restricting or cutting back on antenna TV. We can't even record any shows to watch later since switching to digital! Yeah! Welcome to america land of the free. If your rich enough to pay off someone!
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 7:16PM Report Comment
If the cable and dish companies need more money they will just buy the right people in washington and antenna tv will be gone. I am hoping a generation will come along who have some guts like the people who started the country. Until this happens big business will continue running the USA.
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 1:41PM Report Comment
I am 57 years old and do not have cable, satellite TV or the Internet at home. I work and could perhaps afford cable, but the point is, I don't need it. The digital conversion is a mixed blessing for me even with a new $75 antenna, some stations are still messed up; however, when transmission is good, I can receive more than 20 channels. I am absolutely, completely against doing away with Free Antenna TV. If this occurred, it would be another slap in the face for those whose finances are not great, and those who do not feel the need to spend hard-earned cash on every new technological gadget that comes along. I ahve the Internet as work, and it is fast enough. To use this as an excuse to take free Antenna TV away from millions is unconscionable.
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 5:03PM Report Comment
I'm disabled and can no longer afford cable or sat. tv..I do enjoy the couple of channels I can recieve with my antenna...I am writing this from a public computer since I can't afford internet too...My medical bills take ove 80% of my disability income...Keep free antenna tv...Thanks
Sat, 01-16-2010 - 2:16AM Report Comment
That is your opinion based on what factual information? I happen to rely solely on an antennae and get the local channels free in HDTV. I just saw a blog online of others who do the same. There are people who cant afford all the excess that other Americans are getting into debt over. Some people choose to cut back and not over extend themselves. Some people never could afford it in the first place. Dont take away their option to watch tv. Making tv free over the internet means tv is not free. it means people are required to have internet. Not everyone has internet. Not everyone chooses to have it in their home. Life goes on with out the great addiction.
Sat, 01-09-2010 - 11:05AM Report Comment
Okay on supporting free Over The Air/OTA TV, but in the U.S. the usage is very small. Why not jump into this century, use the "new" public access, and require free TV over the Internet? Imagine the huge worldwide audiences that TV stations, channels, and networks could have! Unfortunately, in the U.S., the cable companies are powerful and will block this, even though they provide most of the Internet connections and would still get this revenue.
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 5:44PM Report Comment
We, too, have been cable-free since about 1997/1998. We didn't have antenna TV until Sept. 11, 2001 (so we could see what was going on...) I wish there would have been more contact info on these commercials. I'm guessing 1)there will be more info made available later if it becomes necessary, or (2) we need to go ahead and contact our reps. now to get them to start thinking about the fact that there are still plenty of antenna users that they should protect. I think I'll go ahead and email them now...
Sun, 02-28-2010 - 10:40PM Report Comment
Free antenna tv should be available to all the people who use antennas. It is important that people who cannot afford services like cable,Dish etc that they always keep informed thru their tv's using an antenna. Judging from the number of people who had to buy conveter boxes, this could hurt a lot of people.
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 2:39AM Report Comment
I thought that broadcast tv was already completely gone. We don't have it here in Reno, NV. Bring it back! And, the charm of locally produced television shows is unparalleled...movie hosts, morning movies, late night black and white movies, children's shows, etc. It was simply the best.
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 9:49PM Report Comment
WHO do we complain to or where and who to protest before this could pass??? Why wasn't a contact 800 # and/or e-mail broadcasted so we could complain? KEEP FREE TV!
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 8:36PM Report Comment
what will poor people do if they cut out free antenna tv. leave free antenna tv be.
Tue, 02-16-2010 - 4:44PM Report Comment
The current government needs to leave the Free Antenna TV alone! If the radio stations ever go down the tubes, I'm heading to Canada. What has our once-fine country come to????
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 12:14PM Report Comment
Everyone benefits by keeping free antenna TV free. There are too many people who can not afford the high cost of cable every month, especially since cable companies keep raising their rates. How will people without cable be able to watch the news and know what's happening in the community?
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 7:22PM Report Comment
Prior to the conversion to HDTV, here in Suffolk Co. New York, I was able to receive WCBS 2, WNBC 4, 5, WABC 7, WWOR 9, WPIX 11, WNET 13 and WLIW 21. Since June of 2009 I've gotten sporadic reception of ABC 7 1-3, WPIX 11 1&2 and WNET 13 1-3 along with channels 55 - paid TV and 67 1&2 Spanish language. Sometimes I can receive 11 stations, other time ZERO. This is not what we were promised and what the FCC keeps telling us is being fixed. I used to watch approximately 10 hours of programming a week, about 3 & 1/2 hours of that, news. Now I can't watch anything of any interest. I'm bombarded daily with mailings from the Cable Companies offering their services, for an outrageous fee, for something I've always gotten for free. I did everything I was told to, down to having the Geek Squad from Best Buy come to the house and tell me I'd done everything correctly and there was nothing else I could do. Our Government lied to us.
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 6:23PM Report Comment
We have had free tv since moving to rural Ohio in 1994. We used to get channels 2,4,7,10,16,18,22,24,25,27,35,44 all the time & about 5 more occasionally...when we went digital we went to 2,7,22,27,35&44, and these all had 2 stations on each channel...now we only get 35&44...as you can see, we went from 12 (or 17)to 12 all the time, to only 4, proving once again that when the government gets involved in something it does NOT improve!!! That's because it wasn't about making it better for us, it was about being able to split each channel into multiple channels (equals more money)...I wrote to the FCC and got no reply...
Thu, 01-21-2010 - 9:30AM Report Comment
I have not had cable since the 1980s. I have had free TV. I will go without a TV before I pay for it.
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 11:57PM Report Comment
TV should be free. Taking away free TV would cause americans to lose their jobs. if they want to cut cost they should cancel daytime soap opera's. these hour long ed dramas cost the most money.
Tue, 01-19-2010 - 12:19AM Report Comment
Isolation of families, a limiting of available Local and world news on a free basis is not a healthy way for any nation. The Emergency Broadcast System is available to millions via free local TV Channels, something that should not be tampered with. Since the 1950's local TV has been Free, because this is the United States of America....... Or is it still?
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 3:05PM Report Comment
I am so discusted with this government. We have had the best country around until the hitler like politaiions are hell bent on ruining it for all of us except the ones that wear the mark.This is the USA .We should have 1 flag,1 language,the same laws pretain to all with out all the complications wrote into them.and if the imigrants want their culture then go back where they came from & give them the means to do so.They come here to because their country is bad for them but still have the nerve to complain & change ours. go back to where u come from &wera the towels helments or whatever head gear & face masks u want
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 2:13PM Report Comment
Keep over the air antenna service FREE..We can't afford the high cost of satellie service and don't have access to cable,couldn't pay it either...

Thursday 2:01PM
IBC APP Now Available
I downloaded the app and found it useful for my main IBC pitfall