Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
Small fire erupts in television press center for Athens Olympics
Firefighters in Athens Tuesday night responded to a small fire at the television Summer Olympics press center.
The fire, which was extinguished by the building’s fire suppression system, caused no serious damage. No one was injured. Ten fire engines responded to the fire.
The fire broke out in a room used by the Greek telecommunications company OTE when some cables apparently overheated, according to press reports.
Officials have placed security personnel on high-alert in response to the potential terrorist actions linked to the games. On May 5, three bombs exploded outside an Athens police station.
Back to the top