06.21.2006 08:00 AM
Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
Nielsen to track TV viewership across multiple platforms
Nielsen Media Research last week said it will provide integrated, all-electronic ratings for television regardless of the platform on which it is viewed.
Under the company’s Anytime Anywhere Media Measurement (A2/M2) initiative, Nielsen will develop and deploy technology to measure the new ways consumers are watching television, such as on the Internet, outside the home and via cell phones, iPods and other personal, mobile devices.
Developed in close consultation with clients, A2/M2 reflects the transformation of the television industry into a multi-platform business. Key components include:
· a continued focus on providing accurate measurement of in-home television viewing through Active/Passive metering technology;
· measurement of online streaming video as well as the addition of Internet measurement in Nielsen’s People Meter samples;
· the addition of out-of-home measurement in Nielsen’s People Meter samples;
· the introduction of electronic measurement in all local markets, targeted for 2011;
· the development of new meters to measure video viewed on portable media devices;
· the creation of new research for measuring viewer “engagement” in TV programming.
For more information, visit www.nielsenmedia.com.