Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
NAB2008 to debut Content Theater
A new highlight of this year’s NAB convention, April 11-17 (conference and exhibition dates), in Las Vegas will be the debut of the Content Theater, a state-of-the-art digital screening room where top Hollywood filmmakers and executives will reveal how they used new technologies to produce “Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D,” “U2 3D,”“Jumper” and NASCAR.com's TrackPass.
Attendees visiting the theater will hear from the directors, visual effects supervisors, broadband producers and mobile distributors responsible for featured works. They’ll also see clips and explore the creative process behind the releases. While the agenda is still being firmed up, the preliminary session schedule includes:
Monday, April 14
- 3-D Primer — The ABC's of stereoscopic 3-D image capture, content and exhibition from the producer of “Bugs! 3D.”
- Art of 3-D Filmmaking — Today's top 3-D directors and DPs discuss how to design and compose in 3-D.
- “Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D:” Case Study — Director Eric Brevig and his filmmaking team explore the production and post production of the first live action/visual effects film created in 3-D for digital release.
- “U2 3D:” Case Study — The movie’s creative team will reveal how it expanded the language of 3-D through innovations in image capture, graphics and post.
Tuesday, April 15
- “Jumper:” Case Study — Filmmaker Doug Liman and his team look at how they produced a sci-fi world through cinematography, visual effects and production design.
- “Pushing Daisies:” Case Study — Director and executive producer Barry Sonnenfeld and his team discuss how they created the look and tone of the series.
- Character Animation: CG Technologies Meet Classic Techniques, presented in association with the Visual Effects Society.
- Red Camera: Case Study — Filmmakers examine digital capture with the new camera as well as workflow through post.
Wednesday, April 16
- Mobilizing Entertainment
- Turner Sports/NASCAR.com: Case Study — An inside look at TrackPass, a new, real-time, interactive racing platform and fan community.
- Crackle: Case Study — A peek into an online network dedicated to the discovery and development of broadband filmmakers
- My Damn Channel — CEO and President Rob Barnett brings in talent from this independent entertainment site, which gives artists voices, control and revenue participation.
For more information, visit