08.02.2007 02:11 PM
Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
FCC issues rulemaking notice on consumer DTV education efforts
The FCC released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) July 30 seeking comment on potential DTV consumer education initiatives.
The NPRM seeks comment on requiring broadcasters, multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs), retailers and manufacturers to take certain actions to publicize the digital transition.
The NPRM asks for comment on proposals to help convey the timing, logistics and benefits of the DTV transition to consumers, including:
- broadcaster public service announcements, other consumer education requirements, and reporting
- notices in cable, satellite and other MVPD bills to consumers
- notices from consumer electronics manufacturers
- employee training by consumer electronics retailers
- adjustments to the DTV.gov partners program.
For more information, visit: www.fcc.gov.