09.17.2006 08:00 AM
Scherer will serve second term as SBE president
Christopher H. Scherer, CPBE, CBNT, of Overland Park, KS, was elected to a second term as president of the Society of Broadcast Engineers. Scherer, editor of Radio magazine, will begin his second term beginning Sept. 27, following his induction during the SBE Annual Membership Meeting in Verona, NY. Previous to serving as president of the 5300-member organization this past year, Scherer has served as national vice president and chairman of chapters 59 in Kansas City, KS, and 70 in Cleveland. He also serves as a chairman on the SBE National Certification Committee. Scherer has been a member of SBE since 1989.
Also elected to second terms are:
- Vice President Clay Freinwald, CPBE, a corporate engineer with Entercom.
- Secretary Vincent A. Lopez, CEV, CBNT, director of engineering at WSYT/WNYS TV in Syracuse, NY.
- Treasurer Barry Thomas, CPBE, CBNT, president of Thomas Media.
Six members were elected to seats on the Board of Directors. They include:
- Ralph Beaver, CBT, president and CEO of Media Alert, Tampa, FL.
- James T. Bernier, Jr., CPBE, CBNT, director of maintenance, design and engineering at Turner Entertainment Networks, TBS, Alpharetta, GA.
- Keith M. Kintner, CPBE, CBNT, radio-TV-film engineer at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Oshkosh, WI.
- Thomas R. Ray, CPBE, vice president and corporate director of engineering for Buckley Broadcasting/WOR Radio, New York.
- Christopher D. Tarr, CBRE, CBT, CBNT, director of engineering for Entercom-Milwaukee/Madison, Delafield, WI.
- Larry J. Wilkins, CPBE, AMD, CBNT, assistant director of engineering for Cumulus Broadcasting, Prattville, AL.
Six returning members of the board and Raymond Benedict, CPBE, who will continue his service as Immediate Past President, will join them. The six returning directors include:
- Jon A. Bennett, CPBE, CBNT, director of engineering – Richmond for Cox Radio, Richmond, VA.
- Andrea B. Cummis, CBT, CTO, senior vice president of engineering and technology for American Desi TV, Roseland, NJ.
- Dane E. Ericksen, P.E., CSRTE, 8-VSB, CBNT, senior engineer at Hammett & Edison, San Francisco.
- Ted Hand, CPBE, 8-VSB, assistant chief engineer/RF engineer for WGNT-TV, Portsmouth, VA.
- Hal H. Hostetler, CPBE, senior engineer/I.T. director at KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.
- Conrad H. Trautmann, CPBE, senior vice president of engineering and technology at Westwood One, New York City.
More information about SBE can be found at www.sbe.org.