07.29.2011 09:50 AM
McAdams On: Media Fatigue
REGULATIONOFF THE GRID: I realize I should be obsessing about the pending national default as I write this, but all I care about is getting it done so I can take a day off. I can’t imagine that members of Congress don’t feel the same way, but stubborn is as stubborn does. Even a mule knows when taking action is in its own best interest. No offense to mules.

But I digress because I am absolutely, positively, squarely and certainly burnt out on news and the derivatives thereof this week. By “news,” I mean Obama versus Boehner versus Reid versus common sense, with spectrum auctions or not in a debt-ceiling bill while LightSquared and Sprint exchange vows, one broadcaster sues another over a quintopoly, the stock market leaps and drops like a cat in a hayfield, and perhaps most tragically, Jesse James and Kat Von D break up.

OK, that last thing wasn’t necessary, but rather gratuitous simply for the absurdist purposes. But I know about it whether I want to or not because I spend far, far too much time online.

As a digital journalist, it is my sacred duty to engage and leverage social media such that I draw the maximum amount of attention to myself. In school, such behavior was frowned upon. Now, it’s stock in trade. It is no longer enough to simply publish or broadcast a piece of information. Oh,
contraire. One must also share it on Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Slashdot, Delicious, LinkedIn, Reddit, Blogger, Wordpress, TypePad, Delicious, Newsvine, Technorati, Mixx, Bebo, Xanga, Arto, Baidu, Blip, Blogged, BuddyMarks, Brainify, Corkboard, Buzz, Reader, Kaboodle, Plaxo, Orkut, Tumblr and, of course, Squidoo.

And conversely, one must know what’s going on in social media, and try to make sense of it. Thus, I have a Twitter feed that now reads: “Everett Withers (sorry about that spelling) was defensive coordinator,” “Song allegedly written about murdered woman,” “Dog shot with crossbow has to be euthanized,” “SC peaches pitted against Georgia’s,” “Is it time to invest in gold?” “Jefferson County has another week to decide what to do,” “Jason Young posting bond,” and so on and so forth. These are just some tweets from TV news organizations. I’m trying to ascertain how TV news organizations are using Twitter and social media in general to engage viewers can keep them informed. I have come up with at least one definitive conclusion: I haven’t the vaguest idea.

I don’t think I’m alone. I’m not convinced anyone in media has developed a social media strategy, other than not being there is bad. It’s bit like being at
the social event of the year with 5,000 of your closest friends all talking to themselves at the same time. Sometimes you just want to slip outside and talk to the dog or any other form of life that doesn’t have its nose stuck to an iPhone or a Blackberry. So if you’ll please excuse me, I'm going to get some air . . .

Comments

Posted by: Deborah McAdams
Fri, 06-29-2011 02:06 PM Report Comment
I have to agree with Mr McAdams. We are raising a whole generations of IDIOTS. I come from a time in broadcasting when there were no cell phones, no PCs, and a pager was the size of two packs of cigarettes and only doctors had enough money to afford to have them. At that time, we were thinkers, innovators, doers. Now were are sheep being led around by our smart phones, I Pads and laptops. We are raising children that can not spell and worry about things that do not matter to anyone other than the person that it is happening to, who cares which star broke up with who, I don't. This does not concern me in the least. I think that someone should tell our leaders, and I use that term loosely, that auctioning off all of our frequencies is not even going to make a dent in the deficit. Oh well, the media elected him I guess that is what they get. As the old saw goes, you get the government you deserve.
Posted by: Deborah McAdams
Mon, 48-01-2011 03:48 PM Report Comment
Yes, there was a time before cell phones and PC's. Before that, there was a time before television. And before that, a time before radio, and even a time before wind-up phonographs. That's where it started, the wind-up phonograph. Before that, people had pianos. America had a huge piano manufacturing industry. They weren't a generation of idiots, they had to work hard just for a little music. If our dear leaders manage to screw up both the spectrum and the power supply, I'm ready. I just bought a piano. And I don't have to wait for it to boot up. ;-)
Posted by: Deborah McAdams
Wed, 53-10-2011 11:53 PM Report Comment
I agree, & I think that many others also agree, & I believe that many more will come to agree & it will ultimately sort itself out over time by consolidation and,perhaps, disappear in favor of the next fad. Also, I caution the prior commentor who bemoaned the lack of quality of the current generation. Every generation, at least back to the ancient Greek philosophers, comments that the new generation doesn't have what it takes: There were smart, capable people in the past, they're around now and will be in the future. Now if we could learn how to be more civil to each other...
Posted by: Deborah McAdams
Fri, 13-29-2011 11:13 AM Report Comment
My mule is grossly offended. He won't smile or anything! And my cat in the hayfield has become quite embarrassed. But I'm with ya.
Posted by: Deborah McAdams
Fri, 55-29-2011 12:55 PM Report Comment
Amen, sister. Welcome to the world of marketing and advertising. But, don't be a passive consumer of information. As the television people like to say, "If you don't like the program, change the channel." Better yet, turn it off and read a book.

Thursday 10:05 AM
NAB Requests Expedited Review of Spectrum Auction Lawsuit
“Broadcasters assigned to new channels following the auction could be forced to accept reductions in their coverage area and population served, with no practical remedy.” ~NAB

Conference Updates