CEA Awards DTV Pioneers
April 2, 2004
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) announced the recipients of the 2003 Academy of Digital Television Pioneers (DTV Academy) Awards that were presented the association's ninth annual HDTV Summit .
The annual DTV Awards are independently voted on and bestowed by the DTV Academy for excellence in all aspects of digital content development and delivery, analog-to-digital transition leadership and the manufacture of high-definition television (HDTV) products.
The awards, presented during a special luncheon honoring the DTV Academy, recognized achievements made throughout 2003 in thirteen categories, including the People's Choice Award for the best HDTV program -- the first and only DTV Academy Award voted on by the public.
"Receiving a DTV Award -- even a nomination -- is a true achievement," said CEA President and CEO Gary Shapiro. "The members of the DTV Academy are individuals from all relevant industries who have been committed to the analog to digital television transition for more than a decade. The awards allow them to recognize the companies and individuals that are making contributions to the furtherance of high definition television.
CEA joins HDTV enthusiasts across the country in thanking and congratulating them."
The 2003 DTV Awards also included a new category -- the DTV Academy Award of Distinction -- presented to the individual or organization that has demonstrated exceeding effort and tireless dedication to promote HDTV to consumers throughout the year. The ESPN network received the first DTV Award of Distinction for its exemplary use of the analog channel to promote ESPN HD.
The 2003 DTV Academy Award recipients are:
* Best DTV Network - CBS
* Best Local DTV Broadcaster - WRAL, CBS affiliate in Raleigh, N.C.
* Best DTV Cable System - Comcast
* Best DTV Satellite Provider - DirecTV
* Best DTV Satellite Programmer - HDNet
* Best DTV Sporting Event - ABC Monday Night Football
* Best Original DTV Material - ABC Monday Night Football
* Best DTV Journalism - This Week In Consumer Electronics (TWICE)
* DTV Industry Leadership Award - John Taylor, LG Electronics
* DTV Government Leadership Award - Michael Powell, FCC Chairman
* DTV Retailer Leadership Award -Best Buy
* The People's Choice Award - CSI: Miami, CBS
* DTV Academy Award of Distinction - ESPN HD