9/5/2007 1:40 PM
Visual Research Inc.‘s Karisma 3D graphics system, based on Matrox DSX technology, to be used by Korean Broadcaster SBS for the 17th Presidential Election 2007
Montreal, Canada, September 4, 2007 - Matrox® Video Products Group today announced that Visual Research Inc. has chosen the Matrox X.mio2 card, part of the Matrox DSX family of developer platforms, as the engine for its new Karisma 3D graphics systems. Karisma 3D is a high-performance realtime 3D graphics system with integrated 3D animation and modeling tools. It will be used by SBS (Seoul Broadcasting System) for its HD broadcast of the upcoming 17th Presidential Election 2007.
“We‘re excited by the new Matrox X.mio2 card and its dual-link DVI input module because it will give Karisma 3D an incredible level of realtime 3D performance by overcoming the traditional system GPU ‘readback problem‘,” said Charles Kim, VRi president. “With Karisma 3D, TV stations can now change ordinary broadcast graphics into eye-catching 3D graphics and 3D animations."
“Karisma 3D gives us a variety of options for live event broadcasting operations such as the upcoming presidential election,” said Mr. S.J. An, senior manager of SBS Institute of Technology. “The system testing so far shows that Karisma 3D is capable of stunning realtime 3D motion graphics which is an enhancement to our current VisualCG 3D systems. We have high expectations to achieve a better broadcast performance for this upcoming national event using VisualCG 3D and Karisma 3D combined.”
The VRi product line will be demonstrated at IBC 2007 on the VRi stand 7.211.
The Matrox DSX platforms will be demonstrated on the Matrox stand 7.228.
Key features of Karisma 3D
• VRi realtime OpenGL/DirectX 3D graphics rendering technology
• On-air updates - edit or add new templates while on-air for last minutes changes
• Import a wide variety of still, animation and movie clip file types, including: tga, tif, jpg, gif, psd, ai, Autodesk 3ds Max, Maya, Artbeats, Digital Juice and others
• Keyframe animation editor and timeline for realtime animation playback
• Realtime 3D layer effects such as page curls, particles, distortions, and water-ripples
• Seamless scene-to-scene transitions
• Full Unicode TrueType font support
• HD/SD switchable in software
• ODBC database link allows numbers, text, or images on an on-air scene page to be connected directly to an external database such as Microsoft Excel for automatic updates
• MOS integration with all major newsroom system: Inews, Octopus, ENPS, Delta+ and others
About Matrox DSX Developer Products
The Matrox DSX product line combines codec and effects technologies and a full range of professional audio and video hardware components with a comprehensive Windows XP-based Software Development Kit (SDK). The Matrox DSX platforms exploit Matrox's "Power of X" and “Flex” technologies to enable OEMs and developers to leverage scalable CPU and GPU power to create a wide variety of cost-effective products and applications including NLE systems, ingest/playout servers, character generators, clip and still stores, graphics/production servers, automation and master control units, multi-layer compositors, and CATV barker channels.
Key features of the Matrox DSX platforms:
• Modular 10-bit architecture gives developers the flexibility to meet technical and price targets
• Full range of HD and SD audio and video I/Os
• Simultaneous input and output of different video standards in HD and SD
• Multi-format SD codec support in software - DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, D10, MPEG-2, 8- and 10-bit uncompressed
• Multi-format HD codec support in software - HDV, DVCPRO HD, MPEG-2 at online and offline bit rates, 8- and 10-bit uncompressed
• Native MXF support for IMX, XDCAM HD and DCVPRO HD
• MPEG-2 4:2:2:4 YUVA I-frame codec in HD and SD
• Exploits CPU power to perform software effects on multiple streams in real time
• On-board 8- and 10-bit compositor/keyer
• On-board 8- and 10-bit scaler for YUV 4:2:2 and YUVA 4:2:2:4
• Professional realtime effects including sub-pixel 2D DVE, color correction, chroma/luma keying, graphics overlay, smooth speed changes
• GPU co-processor for realtime 3D effects
• Key input and output support
• Multiple board support in a single chassis
• Application development support by a team of dedicated, experienced engineers
SBS (Seoul Broadcasting System) is Korea‘s largest commercial broadcaster, delivering its programs via television (terrestrial, cable, and satellite, including an HD service) and radio. It is one of three premium channels in Korea, and employs over 1,500 staff.
For more information visit: www.sbs.co.kr
About Visual Research Inc.
Visual Research Inc. is a leading software applications development and service company catering to the broadcast industry. Since 1993, VRi has been a leading manufacturer of professional character generators for broadcast and post-production. For more information visit www.VisualCG.com.
Matrox Video Products Group is a technology and market leader in the field of HD and SD digital video hardware and software for realtime editing, DVD authoring, capture/playout servers, clip/still stores, and CGs. Matrox's Emmy award-winning technology powers a full range of content creation and delivery platforms used by broadcasters, post-production facilities, project studios, corporate communicators, and videographers worldwide. Founded in 1976, Matrox is a privately held company headquartered in Montreal, Canada. For more information visit www.matrox.com/video.
Matrox is a registered trademark and Matrox DSX is a trademark of Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are hereby acknowledged.