9/14/2009 12:54 PM
Avid released DS 10.2 at IBC 2009 – a new version of its integrated suite of editorial, graphics and image processing tools for studios, facilities, broadcasters and post houses. The new version brings enhanced functionality for increased performance and creative capabilities as a result of extended AVX2 plug-in support, 2K playback capabilities and the recent qualification of the new HP Z800 platform. Additionally, this version’s increased interoperability with Avid shared storage and workgroup solutions as well as the improved conform with other Avid editing solutions (Media Composer, Symphony) delivers overall competitive advantages for high-end broadcast and post production teams looking for advanced effects, high resolution and high bit-depth support.
New benefits of Avid DS 10.2
• Single, integrated toolset – Various workflow enhancements include a timeline to Media Composer feature which enables media and metadata exchange between DS and Media Composer systems for an improved offline to online workflow. The timeline permits source name and timecode to be entered and exported through MXF so that all information is maintained throughout the process.
• Advanced conform with new AVX2 plug-in support – New AVX2 architecture increases the plug-ins available to DS customers and greatly improves the end-to-end workflow with Avid Media Composer and Avid Symphony projects. AVX2 is supported by a wide variety of effects plug-in vendors, including Boris, GenArts and Ultimatte. As a result, customers benefit from a fully integrated toolset.
• Hi-res conform from Avid projects – The ability to monitor full 2K material in real time provides editors and clients with in-suite screening capabilities, allowing creative decisions to be made in context with full resolution and quality. Advanced conform of RED, 2K material also saves users time by freeing up the resources previously spent executing manual conforms to instead focus on the creative aspects.
• Advanced collaboration – Interoperability with Avid Unity ISIS and Interplay systems eliminates the need for a separate engineering department. Now, users can also take advantage of remote processing capabilities to maximize efficiency.
• Superior color management – Enhanced color management with 1D and 3D LUTS and Symphony-style secondary color correction provides users with enhanced color capabilities.
• High performance – Newly added HP Z800 support delivers significant performance and productivity improvements as well as the ability for customers to output to monitor via the graphic card for any resolution (SD, HD and 2K). Additionally, Sony SRW-5800 playback enables customers to capture HD 4:2:2 formats at double the speed when using the SRW-5800 tape deck.
• Improved workflow for RED projects – Avid’s RED workflow now includes the import of audio contained in .r3d clips, the ability to save RED file setting to an RLX file and support for the RED SDK v1.6 which all contribute to a more seamless workflow experience.
For more information and additional features, visit: http://www.avid.com/products/DS/features.asp. Avid will be demonstrating DS 10.2 at IBC 2009 in Amsterdam at Stand #7.J20, beginning September 11 through September 15. This update coincides with other significant product announcements around Avid’s editing and production asset management systems, as announced earlier at the show.