8/26/2009 5:17 PM
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Aug. 26, 2009 — Harmonic Inc. (NASDAQ: HLIT) today announced that Cablevision S.A., Argentina's largest cable video service provider and one of the largest multiservice operators (MSOs) in Latin America with over 6.5 million homes passed, has deployed Harmonic's HFC access solutions for a substantial network upgrade. Cablevision's network segmentation project, using Harmonic's PWRBlazer™ scalable nodes and PWRLink™ transmitters, increases bandwidth to the home for advanced video services such as HDTV, as well as high-speed Internet and telephony. The HFC upgrade has been completed in regions around the country, including Buenos Aires.
"We needed to overhaul the HFC network in order to increase both upstream and downstream bandwidth for advanced video and data services," said Gustavos Ramos, planning manager for Cablevision S.A. "Harmonic is a trusted leader in reliable and high-quality HFC transport solutions, and enabled us cost-effectively to increase network capacity."
"Harmonic is committed to offering a comprehensive suite of solutions that enable our cable customers around the world to offer best-in-class video services," said Sunil Frida, director of HFC Solutions for Harmonic Inc. "Our HFC solutions are deployed by leading MSOs to more efficiently transport video, voice, and data in the last mile, and the addition of Cablevision Argentina to our customer portfolio underscores Harmonic's innovation and the quality of our solutions."
Harmonic offers a unique set of high-performance real-time and on-demand video delivery solutions for cable networks, encompassing compression, multiscreen transcoding, stream processing, universal edgeQAMs, HFC broadband access, and cable IPTV.
Harmonic's full range of flexible fiber-based transmission solutions includes 1310 nm and 1550 nm CWDM/DWDM digital transport, scalable nodes and analog/digital return path systems. Using advanced technology that leverages the operator's existing outside plant and minimizes operating costs, Harmonic's fiber-deep and FTTH broadband network solutions deliver a wide range of video, voice, and data services for leading cable operators around the world.
# # #
About Cablevision S.A.
Cablevision is the cable television leader in Argentina, beginning its operations in the Buenos Aires town of La Lucila, in 1981. Cablevision has more than 3,200,000 subscribers and provides TV services in 96 large, medium, and small cities throughout the country, in eight provinces (Buenos Aires, Salta, Córdoba, Santa Fe, Misiones, Entre Ríos, Corrientes, and Chaco) and in Capital Federal. Current shareholders are the Clarín group, with 60 percent, and Fintech Media LLC, with the remaining 40 percent.
About Harmonic Inc.
Harmonic Inc. is redefining video delivery with the industry's most powerful solutions for live and on-demand content preparation and distribution of video to TVs, PCs and mobile devices. Harmonic's 20 years of technical innovation and market leadership enable the company to offer a unique and comprehensive solution portfolio — including encoding, transcoding, content preparation, stream processing, asset management, edge processing, and delivery. Broadcast, cable, Internet, mobile, satellite and telecom service providers around the world choose Harmonic's IP-based digital video, software, and broadband edge and access solutions. Using these award-winning and industry-leading solutions, operators can reduce costs and differentiate their services by offering consumers a higher quality, personalized multi-screen experience.
Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California with R&D, sales and system integration centers worldwide. The company's customers, including many of the world's largest communications providers, deliver services in virtually every country. Visit www.harmonicinc.com for more information.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27(A) of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21(E) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including statements related to: offering a comprehensive suite of solutions that enable our cable customers around the world to offer best-in-class video services.
Our expectations and beliefs regarding the capabilities of Harmonic's PWRBlazer™ scalable nodes and PWRLink™ transmitters and the anticipated benefits for Cablevision S.A. may not materialize, and actual results could differ materially from those projected. The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are also subject to other risks and uncertainties, including those more fully described in Harmonic's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its recent Reports filed on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q. Harmonic does not undertake to update any forward-looking statements.
EDITOR'S NOTE – Product and company names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.