04.09.2007 04:39 PM
IPTV market posts strong 2006 growth, future bright, says Infonetics
IPTV equipment sales, service revenue, subscribers and service provider capex all posted strong growth in 2006, and are expected to continue surging through 2010, according to a new report from market research firm Infonetics Research.
The report, “IPTV Equipment, Services, Subscribers and Capex,” shows that worldwide IPTV equipment manufacturer revenue jumped 150 percent in 2006, passing the $1 billion mark.
While the IPTV equipment market is expected to grow at a more moderate pace in coming years, all categories but one tracked by Infonetics are forecast to at least double or triple between 2006 and 2010.
Infonetics Research’s IPTV market findings include:
- The number of IPTV subscribers grew 166 percent in 2006, hitting 7.2 million worldwide, with continued strong growth forecast through 2010;
- IPTV service provider revenue jumped 178 percent in 2006 to $2.8 billion worldwide, with growth expected to continue in the double to triple digits every year worldwide;
- EMEA is the leading region for IPTV service revenue, accounting for 49 percent of the worldwide total in 2006, followed by Asia Pacific with 35 percent;
- Worldwide IP set-top box revenue dipped a bit in the fourth quarter but nearly tripled from 2005 to 2006, reaching $455 million, up 195 percent;
- Motorola maintains its worldwide lead in the IP set-top box market in 2006. Amino Communications moved up to second place, while Yuxing moves down to third place.
For more information, visit: www.info.infonetics.com.