05.09.2006 12:48 PM
Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
Worldwide IPTV service revenue to reach $38 billion by 2009, says report
The number of IPTV subscribers will reach 53 million and service provider capital expenditure (capex) on IPTV infrastructure will reach $26 billion by 2009, according to a new report from international research and consulting firm Infonetics.
The report, “IPTV Equipment, Services, and Subscribers” also projects worldwide IPTV equipment revenue will grow to $6 billion, and service revenue will jump to $38 billion.
Broadband service providers with DSL and FTTH services account for the bulk of IPTV service revenue now, but cable broadband providers also will migrate to all-IP triple-play services in the next few years, and offer wireless services as well, according to the report.
According to the report, 2005 IPTV market benchmarks include:
- Worldwide IPTV equipment revenue topped $400 million;
- EMEA is the leading region for IPTV service revenue, accounting for 48 percent of the worldwide total;
- IP STB revenue represents 42 percent of all IPTV equipment;
- IP STB sales will nearly double every year for the next three years;
- The number of IPTV subscribers in Asia Pacific almost doubled between 2004 and 2005, where faster forms of DSL like VDSL2 and ADSL2/2+ are stimulating subscriber growth;
- The number of IPTV subscribers in North America will increase more than 40-fold between 2005 and 2009.
For more information, visit
Back to the top