Chriss Scherer, CSRE CBNT, editor of Radio magazine, has been elected as the 24th president of the Society of Broadcast Engineers. Scherer, of Overland Park, KS, will lead the society’s 5300 members beginning Oct. 20, following his induction during the SBE Annual Membership Meeting in Grapevine, TX.
Scherer, who joined SBE in 1989, is a senior member. He is completing a term as national vice president, and was past chairman of Chapter 59 in Kansas City and Chapter 70 in Cleveland. He currently serves as chairman of the SBE Certification Committee, a position he has held since 2001.
Other newly elected officers:
- Vice President: Clay Freinwald, CPBE, corporate engineer with Entercom. He is a member of Chapter 16 in Seattle and has been a member of the national SBE board of directors since 1999. He has been a member of the society since 1968. He was elected an SBE Fellow earlier this year.
- Secretary: Vincent Lopez, CEV CBNT, director of engineering at WSYT-TV and WNYS-TV in Syracuse, NY. Lopez has been a member of the national board since 2000 and has chaired the Membership Committee since 2001. He is immediate past chairman of Chapter 22 in Central New York and was elected an SBE Fellow in 2004.
- Treasurer: Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT, vice president of engineering at Westwood One in New York City. He is a senior member of SBE and a member of Chapter 15 in New York. Thomas previously served as national secretary and also served two terms as a director. He has also served as a member and as chairman of the SBE Finance Committee.
Six members were elected to seats on the Board of Directors:
- Jon Bennett, CPBE CBNT, director of engineering, Cox Radio-Richmond, Richmond, VA
- Andrea B. Cummis, CBT CTO, senior vice president, Engineering and Technology, American Desi TV, Roseland, NJ
- Dane E. Ericksen, P.E., CSRTE CBNT, senior engineer, Hammett & Edison, San Francisco<
- Ted Hand, CPBE, director of engineering and operations, WTKR-TV, Norfolk, VA
- Hal H. Hostetler, CPBE, senior engineer/IT director, KVOA-TV, Tucson, AZ
- Conrad H. Trautmann, CPBE, senior vice president engineering, Westwood One, New York, NY
Back to the top