Originally featured on BroadcastEngineering.com
AES technical tours offer perspectives on leading SF creative institutions
The AES Convention in San Francisco (Oct. 28-31, 2004) will feature several facility tours, coordinated by conference technical tours chair Larry Oppenheimer. They include:
- Computer game developer Electronic Arts (Thursday, Oct. 28; 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.): The world’s largest computer game developer will give a tour of the company’s Redwood City headquarters, where visitors will view and discuss production suites, recording studios and other technical areas.
- Live sound and speaker system maker Meyer Sound Laboratories (Friday, Oct. 29; 9 a.m. - 1 .pm.): This is one of the audio industry’s highest-end manufacturers of professional loud speakers for sound reinforcement.
- Recording and post-production facility Fantasy Studios/Saul Zaentz Film Center (Friday, Oct. 29; 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.): One of the Bay Area’s largest recording/post-production facilities has done post for such Oscar-winning films as “Amadeus” and “The English Patient.”
- Media academic facility Ex’pression College for Digital Arts & Center For New Music & Audio Technologies (Saturday, Oct. 30; 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.): This is a private school focused on entertainment technology. The curriculum includes audio recording, animation and sound design.
- Audium (Saturday, Oct. 30; 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.): A purpose-built, multichannel performance space, Audium was designed 38 years ago as a venue for composer Stan Shaff. Outfitted with more than 300 speakers, which Shaff engages for stirring improvisational performances, Audium will provide advice to artists, producers and engineers who consider multichannel sound a contemporary innovation.
- Skywalker Sound (Saturday, Oct. 30; 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.): The world-famous George Lucas audio post-production complex has produced some of the most successful films ever made, including several “Star Wars” episodes, “Forrest Gump,” “Terminator 2” and “Jurassic Park.”
For more information, visit www.aes.org.
Back to the top